Set 4. Group of men at the unveiling of the war memorial at St. Peter’s Church. All are wearing hats and a few are in uniform. The photo is looking from the entrance to the churchyard towards the other side of the High Street. The ceremony took place on 5th May 1921.
MATERIALS: Portland stone and sandstone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is aligned with the pathway to the south porch of the Church of St Peter and set into the line of the boundary wall of the churchyard.
The memorial takes the form of a Celtic wheel cross on a slender shaft adorned with Celtic knot-work carving. The memorial stands on a low plinth with a three-stepped base, set on a square rough-hewn pedestal. The panel on the front face of the pedestal is inscribed 1914 TO THE GLORY OF GOD 1919/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF SELSEY WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR with 57 names below. The date 1953 and a single further name (Korean War) are inscribed below the original name panel on the pedestal.
The cross is flanked by two inward curving quadrant rubble walls with ashlar copings and quoins. The copings on each side are dated 1939 – 1945 with 48 names on stone plaques in the wall below. The semi-circular area enclosed by the walls has block paving and an affixed metal bar to support wreaths.
- Date of original photo: 1920
- Publisher: Morey, Chichester
- Copyright: Copyright unclear
- Photo Categories:
If you would like to download a full copy of the archive data, please click here to download the archive spreadsheet.