The land to the south of the junction of West Street and the High Street was all fields down to the sea, although a track marked Hillfield is shown on the 1821 map. Surrounding fields were owned by George Steele, Thomas Willshire, and William Woodman to the east and Mr Comer and James Clayton to the west. This track was made up into a road in 1881 and called New Road.
By 1909 the row of terraced house on the east side of New Road had been built and the presence of the Marine Hotel at the seaward end made this an important road. A number of houses and bungalows had also been built near the sea to the west and east, creating Clayton Road, Danefield Road and Seal Road.
By 1932 the east side of the road was completely built up, but there remained some unoccupied plots on the west side. The road was now again called Hillfield Road. All the side roads are present on the 1932 map reflecting the development of the fields into individual houses and roads.
Hillfield Road is the termination of the B2145.