Selsey had two bowling greens before World War One. The first opened in 1912 based at the Selsey Hotel, Manor Road. It was quickly followed, in 1913, by another close to the New Inn (Neptune) under the Presidency of Sir Archibald Hamilton. Evidence of the existence of the New Inn green remains painted on a chimney stack behind the Neptune Pub.
Crablands Park quickly became established as a bowls and tennis club after the green at the Selsey Hotel closed. It celebrated its centenary in 2012 and remains a successful and competitive club to the present day. The club also stages “short mat” (indoor) bowls to facilitate all year-round bowling.
A second bowling green is located off Golf Links Lane. It was known as “Little Spain” for many years. The club was dissolved and relaunched as Selsey Bowls Club in 2022.
A further “short mat” facility has operated in the main hall at Medmerry School for many years.